News: 2006 Archived News Items
IDOT announces free Illinois Traffic Alert System
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) and its partner The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) have developed the Illinois Traffic Alert System. You may register to receive customized traffic reports containing vehicle speeds, travel times, construction, congestion and incident information through your e-mail inbox, cell phone text messaging, or other e-mail enabled mobile device. The system is initially being deployed in the Chicagoland area as part of IDOT's congestion mitigation effort, and will be deployed statewide in the near future. When you register at www.travelmidwest.com, follow the instructions in order to:
- Choose which roadway segments you want to be notified,
- Select the two times of day when you want to receive alerts,
- Select the days of the week you want to receive alerts,
- Customize alerts to receive them only if the average speed on the road is below what your selected threshold, and
- Customize the type of data you want to receive (incidents, construction, congestion and/or travel times).